Submit your review
We have stayed at Southern Sands three times now and have always loved this place! The view is beautiful, the pool is so lovely and very refreshing, and the reservations staff are very courteous. Each time we have stayed, we have been in a different room. In the past, the rooms have always been very clean and accommodating. This time, the room we had was not quite up to par. It was not very clean upon arrival. There were spills on the cabinets and dirt in the corners. There were clean sheets supplied for the pull out bed, but no extra pillows or blankets for it. We found some comforters in the closet, but they were soiled and wet, and piled up in a heap on the floor of the closet. The pillows for the other beds were flat and hard. The hot and cold faucet in both showers were backwards - the hot was cold, and the cold was hot... opposite of what they should be. The furniture was quite soiled and in need of a thorough cleaning. We love this place and will probably return because we've come to feel like it is a second summer "home", but hopefully it will be back up to their usual standards next time.
I will just list the items that need attention.
1. Mold on blinds in back bedroom
2. Mold on lamp shade
3. Lamp shades broken
4. Bathroom has mold around floor near tub
5. Bathtub old jet tub that doesn’t work and cracked
6. Outdoor furniture had mold on three cushions
7. Pillows had hair on them (which they came and replaced) 8. Lamp shade over table rusted badly
9. Black spots on walls in bedroom
10. Beds had thick plastic on them that rattled everytime you moved
11. Beds very uncomfortable
12. Living room furnitures very old, faded uncomfortable
13. Green carpet in living room is filthy.
14. Spots in dining room chairs and living room chairs looked nasty.
Balcony is the only thing that saved the trip. Beautiful full view of the Gulf. We have been coming to GS for 20 years and we will never stay here again.
Gulf Sands tried to move us but it was a back unit that had little view of the gulf which is why we rent the end units. I think they owe it to their customers to post a warning on this unit of its condition. They said they were aware of issues but had no control over owner. Sad excuse to ever rent a unit in that condition. Mold can be very dangerous to your health.
Would not recommend if you are looking for a quiet ocean front balcony. I’m not looking for the Hilton but this is not the condo for those that enjoy sitting and hearing the ocean.
1: balcony is literally over the pool. There is a fountain on the pool that drowns out the ocean and if that doesn’t then all the kids and people playing music and drinking will!
2: no smoking inside or out. That was not posted on the website or in the rental agreement. Inside I get, but outside? This should have been made known.
3. Air conditioner could not keep it below 73 degrees. This made for hot nights when trying to sleep.
4. Furniture was incredibly uncomfortable. Only one end table beside the couch so you couldn’t sit your phone or anything beside you. The couch and two chairs were wore out and uncomfortable to sit in.
5. There are no drapes over the bedroom windows. Since the pool is right under the window it looked like a Christmas tree all night. If you like it to be dark when you sleep then forget it.
6. This may not be an issue to others however they decided to power wash the deck at 7 am on Friday morning. So much for sleeping in. Also the worker barricaded the deck so you had to walk around it to get back to our room. Not cool to have people take the long way around when you can’t see because there is no lighting.
7. On Friday morning the two condos on either side had deck chairs put out very early and this took up the entire beach I front of the condo. I get that is a service however I pay for beach front access so I can sit in front of the condo in the beach. Not walk a half a mile down the beach to find a spot. Be considerate of those that have paid for a location and don’t take up the entire shoreline with your rented chairs and umbrellas.
On a positive note it was right on the beach and the walk was super easy.
Hi Terrie, thanks for your review and happy to know you found the location and walk to the beach super easy! Please know the windows have blinds in the main bedroom, however, we have passed the feedback along to the homeowner for consideration. July 4th holiday is a very busy and popular time to visit the beach. We hope to see you back again soon!
Stay ever other year love the Harbor House Condos, Gulf Sand Rentals easy to use friendly staff. Even when you lock your keys in the condo. Will stay again.
Stayed here for a week in August and it was fantastic. Place was clean, roomy and had all the comforts of home. More than enough cookware for any kind of cooking you want to do (even a big pot for making a seafood boil). Great beach access and a nice grill. Everything was as described and the books and puzzles were a really nice touch! Communication was perfect from start to finish. Will definitely stay here on any future trips to Gulf Shores. Thanks for a wonderful stay!
Thanks for the wonderful review, you were the perfect guests and welcome back anytime!